The Cultural Engagement team at Everytown for Gun Safety is thrilled to announce the new Moms Demand Action Book Club, a powerful resource for deeper education and dialogue for Moms Demand Action volunteers and chapters across the country.
Each quarter, we’ll present a curated list of books, sourced from Moms Demand Action volunteers, Everytown staff and Everytown Authors Council members. They may not be expressly focused on gun violence, but instead will provide opportunities for chapters to connect their work with a larger cultural conversation.
The theme for our kickoff list (January-March 2021) is Celebrating Black Women Changemakers: a selection of firsthand accounts by Black women of influence—leaders, advocates, artists and truth-tellers. Read below for the full list.
January-March 2021: Celebrating Black Women Changemakers
- Lead From the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change by Stacey Abrams (2018)
- Unbought and Unbossed by Shirley Chisholm (1970)
- The Truths We Hold: An American Journey by Kamala Harris (2019)
- Coretta: My Life, My Love, My Legacy by Coretta Scott King with the Rev. Dr. Barbara Reynolds
- Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde (1984)
- Standing Our Ground: The Triumph of Faith Over Gun Violence: A Mother’s Story by Lucy McBath (2018)
- Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love and So Much More by Janet Mock (2014)
- Becoming by Michelle Obama (2018)
- For Such a Time as This: Hope and Forgiveness after the Charleston Massacre by Rev. Sharon Risher with Sherri Wood Emmons (2019)
- More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say) by Elaine Welteroth (2019)
Please note selected books may contain adult themes and language, and may be inappropriate for children and teens. The books recommended for the Moms Demand Action Book Club are selected to promote thoughtful discussion. The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in these books belong solely to their authors, and are not necessarily those of Moms Demand Action or its affiliates.